- 1976: Barrister-at-Law, the Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn, London, England, UK
- 1971: Barrister-at-Law, Institute of Legal Education, Thai Bar Association
- 1970: LLB (Honours), Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Chavalit Uttasart is Managing and Founding Partner of SCL Law Group (“SCL”). Before establishing the Group in 2005, he was a partner at International Legal Counsellors Thailand Ltd. (ILCT) (Russin&Vecchi). As head of SCL, Chavalit Uttasart actively oversees all practices and service areas, as well as events and activities for SCL.
A longtime legal practitioner who is recognised by Chambers Asia 2011 Edition as being “highly talented and respected in the IP community, managing partner Chavalit Uttasart has a distinguished profile in the field. His expertise includes M&A, e-commerce, telecommunications and corporate law”. He is also a recommended dispute resolution lawyer in the PLC Cross-border Dispute Resolution Handbook (Which Lawyer?), is “highly recommended for contentious work” by Legal 500 Asia Pacific and is considered a leading individual in the Thai intellectual property industry.
With over forty years’ experience, his areas of specialisation include intellectual property, information technology, e-commerce, telecommunications and corporate law; as well as cases involving trade competition, corporate recovery and business reorganisation, foreign investment and mergers & acquisitions.
Not limited to just Thailand, with Myanmar opening its doors to foreign investors, Chavalit Uttasart has been involved in negotiating, structuring, documenting and managing large and important projects in Myanmar. These projects have often been sensitive and complex to say the least. Thus, he has substantial hands on experience in Myanmar.
Recent relevant transactions of significance include:
- Advising a large publically listed company on the purchase/financing from a conglomerate of local and international banks relating to: a cement factory with the investment budget of Baht 10 billion; a power plant that uses waste as a raw material and a power plant that receives waste heat from the cement factory (with the investment budget of Baht 4 billion in total); and a fiber-cement factory with the total investment value of the project being over Baht 10 billion.
- The expansion of a renowned international wholesaler, both in Thailand and Myanmar, involving an estimated investment of more than USD 1 billion.
- Broadcasting & media: advises clients in relation to the digital television broadcasting licence, television broadcasting licence and telecommunications licence; as well as disputes relating to broadcasting and telecommunications law.
- Representing a renowned bank, as the creditor, for a business reorganisation case relating to two debtors; of which debt amounted to approximately USD 205 million in total.
- Advising the leading container terminal operator at a port in Thailand relating to the protection of confidential information and trade secrets; as well as disputes relating to administrative law and the Official Information Act.
- Representing one of the largest hospitality, restaurant operator and luxury brand retailers to file an arbitration case; claiming damages on the amount of approximately Baht 70 million. Moreover, he represented the company in taking legal action against the wrongdoer on the grounds of malicious prosecution for the criminal case.
- Representing a client in a matrimonial dispute involving assets of over USD 1.5 billion.
Part-time lecturer at:
- 2005 – present: BangkokUniversity
- 2005 – 2008: Eastern Asia University
- 2003 – present: Institute of Legal Education of Thai Bar Association
- 2002 – 2005: Assumption University
- 1981 – 2000: Chulalongkorn University
- 1981 – present: Thammasat University
- 1979 – present: Ramkhamhaeng University
- Thai Bar Association
- Lawyers Council of Thailand
- The Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
- Intellectual Property Association of Thailand (IPAT)
- Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriete Industrielle (AIPPI)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- ASEAN Law Association
- The Law Association for Asia and the Western Pacific (LAWASIA)
- The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn