On 23 February 2021, the Department of Intellectual Property issued a Notification introducing a fast track examination process for trademark registration and renewal. This notification is issued with the aim of expediting trademark registrations and the renewal process, thus enhancing and facilitating trademark protection for both the private sector and general public; enabling them to build a conductive business operation.
For the fast track trademark registration, an application for trademark registration will be examined within six months from the filing date, although the publication period and grant of the registration certificate may not be completed in said six-month period. The trademark application eligible for the fast track process must comply with the following conditions:
- The lists of goods/services must not exceed 30 items.
- The specifications of goods/services must all conform to the recommended acceptable specifications of the Department of Intellectual Property.
For the fast track trademark renewal, each application will be examined within 45 minutes from the time of submission. The renewal application eligible for fast track renewal must meet the following conditions:
- The lists of goods/services under the trademark registration must not exceed 30 items.
- There must be no amendments to the specifications of goods/services under the trademark registration.
- The renewal application must be submitted at the Department of Intellectual Property, Ministry of Commerce, by the trademark owner or appointed agent. In the latter case, the power of attorney must state that the appointed agent has the authority to receive a certificate of registration.
- The applicant or appointed agent must request at the time of submission that he/she would like the Trademark Registrar to urgently examine the renewal application and issue the certificate of trademark registration renewal.
- The official renewal fees must be fully paid. In the event that the renewal application is defective but possible to be corrected within the date of submission of the renewal application, the Registrar shall order the amendment and accordingly grant permission for trademark registration renewal on the date of submission of the renewal application. However, if the application cannot be resolved by the date of submission of the renewal application, the Registrar shall examine the renewal application within the period specified in the public manual (normal process), according to the Licensing Facilitation Act B.E. 2558 (2015).
Please note that this Notification applies to all types of marks, i.e. trademark, service mark, certification mark, and collective mark.